Friday, March 19, 2010

Where the Sidewalk Ends


Where the Sidewalk Ends
Poems and drawings by: Shel Silverstein
Copyright: 2004
Pages:192

Invitation
"If you are a dreamer, come in,
If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar,
A hope-re, a pray-er, a magic bean buyer...
If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire
For we have some flax-golden tales to spin.
Come in!
Come in!"

Shel Silverstein is the reason I loved poetry as a child. His cleaver and super creative poems are so fun. I remember just sitting in the library with my friends giggling and trying to keep quiet. It still makes me laugh, but I think different poems stood out to me now that I'm older. Shel Silverstein's, Where the Sidewalk Ends is so genius and fun because it has these fun abstract drawings. People with skinny arms, and super long necks, and long- haired boys who can fly over cities. His poems are all different, long, short, deep, and silly. Shel Silverstein has an amazing ability to connect with children, relate to them in a way not many can.

Recommended to: Everyone, there is a poem in here for everyone.
Problems: There are some silly poems which could easily offend someone.
My Reaction: I love this book, and all of his poems. It brings back so many childhood memories, and I can't wait to share it with my children.

No comments:

Post a Comment