Monday, March 22, 2010

Heckedy Peg


Heckedy Peg
by: Audrey Wood
Illustrated by: Don Wood
Copyright: 1992
Pages: 32
Reading Level: 4-8

Heckedy Peg is a folktale book, about Seven children and there mother. The Children's names are Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Their mother leaves the house to run some errands,and since the children had been so good that morning she told them they could ask for anything they wanted and she would bring it to them. Monday asked for a tub of butter, Tuesday asked for a pocket knife, and so on. She kissed her children goodbye, and told the children to not let anyone inside the house. As they were playing and witch hobbled by the road and called to the children and said
" I'm Heckedy Peg.
I've lost my leg.
Let me in!"
The children reply "We can't". Heckedy Peg finally convinces the children to lit her pipe in exchange for gold. When they light her pipe she turns the children into food. Monday bread, Tuesday a pie, Wednesday milk, and so on. So she gathered the food into her cart and carried it home. Soon the mother returns to find her children gone, a bird who has seen the whole things chirps "follow me!" So she does. Just as Heckedy Peg is about to eat her new supper there is a knock at the door, the mother tricks the witch and gets all her children back safe.

Recommended to: Slightly older children, it can be very scary. Also read right before bed wouldn't be my choice.
Problems: Leaving your children home alone, might be against some people values.
My Reaction: I kind of had mixed feelings for this book. I love how cleaver the story is, but the illustrations and general story is rather creepy. How she jumps off a bridge at the end, seems a little violent. But most folktales are so I think its perfect for its genera.

No comments:

Post a Comment