Saturday, March 6, 2010

Ice Skating


Ice Skating
By: Morgan Hughes
Copyright: 2005
Pages: 32
Reading Level: 8-12

This book probably could have been combined with another book. It had important information, but not enough to be its own book. This book had a lot of white space. It is part of a series from Junior Sport however I'm not sure they have found an efficient enough way to present the information. It's not a terribly long book, but I also wasn't really excited to see what came next. The best part of this book was every page or so they would include one neat fact. About the other information on the page. However I think that they should have included many more of these through out the book. Ice Skating, has the basics of figure, hockey, and speed skating. And includes the important differences in the blades. However I'm not sure how helpful any of this information would be to a beginner skater. And a skater who knows there stuff would be bored reading this.

Recommended to: For someone who wants a small introduction to different types of skating. But I only recommend this to someone who is ready to look more into it, as this book doesn't give enough information.
Problems: None I don't see how this could offend anyone.
My Reaction: As I kind of stated about, this has been my least favorite non-fiction. It has a catchy cover, but that is about all it has going for it. Would not start skating after reading this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment