Friday, February 5, 2010

How to Heal a Broken Wing


How to Heal a Broken Wing
Author/ Illustrator: Bob Graham
Copyright: 2008
Pages: 40
Reading Level: 4-8

How to Heal a Broken Wing, is done in a comic book style illustrations. Which is different than most of the books I have read. The book starts with a bird, who is flying through a city, and hits the glass of one of the tall buildings. And falls. No one sees the bird on the ground, as the people are to busy. Then a boy, Will sees the bird "with a broken wing..." Will takes the bird home and takes care of it. They bandage the bird up. And with rest, time, "and a little hope." The bird flies once again.

Recommended to: Any child, most relate really easily with animals.
Problems: The problem I found with this book is that, I personally wouldn't want my child picking up strange birds and bringing them home. And I feel that it is slightly unrealistic that the family cured the bird, and it was able to fly again.
My reaction: I liked the style of the illustrations, at the beginning there is very little color, and then as the boy emerges from the subway he is the only thing that is bright in color. Showing the hope he brings with him. Then as the bird gets better the illustrations get progressively brighter and brighter.

No comments:

Post a Comment