Friday, February 5, 2010

Bella & Bean


Bella and Bean
Story by: Rebecca Kai Dotlich
Illustrations by: Aileen Leijten
Copyright: 2009
Pages: 40
Reading Level: 4-8

"Peace and quiet with a pinch of grump" muttered Bean.

While walking through the library, I saw this one and at first I put it back seeing it was about mice,and looked rather plain. But I decided I shouldn't judge a book by its cover, and pulled it out. This book was hilarious, I think mainly because it reminded me so much of my mother, and my own friends. The writing style is unlike most children's books. Its funny and sarcastic.
This tale is about two best friends, who happen to be mice. There names are Bella and Bean, and they are two very cute mice. Bella is determined to write poems, and Bean tries to distract her all day. First Bella pops up in the window to show her the new hat she got, then Bella shows her how her window closes. Next she comes and wiggles her toes, and Bella tells her she needs peace and quiet. Bella keeps writing poems, and each one has sometime to do with her friend Bean. She eventually realizes writing poems would be much better with her best friend Bean. She calls her up and they go down to the river together. Bean surprises Bella with a hat of her own, "Now we both look divine." Bella reads Bean her poem:
"My friend is a star,
My friend is a rose,
My best friend Bean
Has the cutest toes."
Bean is thrilled by the poem, and they write one together. And that is the poem they write is the end to the story.

Recommended to: Mothers and daughters, or best girl friends.
Problems: This is a rather gender specific book, I don't know if a boy would get the same enjoyment I got out of it.
My Reaction: I was pleasantly surprised, at this cute book. Bella and Bean are adorable friends, and remind me of my own best friend. Because even if we bug or annoy each other we know we will always love each other. The poems and dialogue mixed together in this book are cleaver. Not to mention the illustrations which are funny, and done in brilliant colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment