Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Noisy Nora


Noisy Nora
By: Rosemary Wells
Copyright: 1973, 1997
Pages: 32
Reading Level: 4-8

Noisy Nora, is a classic. I remember Nora from my childhood. This book does such a wonderful job relating to middle children. Or at least that's how I took it, being a middle child myself. The story shows the frustration of not being the oldest, or the baby. Nora is seen on every page, desperately trying to get attention. She is either hanging on the crib, or wobbling around in a bucket, however everyone seems to ignore her. So she starts doing loud things, slamming the door, "she felled some chairs". Then her family comes back with the same respond every time "Quiet", "Hush", or "Nora, why are you so dumb?" She keeps trying to get there attention till she finally gives up, and decides she is leaving "And I'm never coming back!" Then suddenly with the absent of noise the family realizes that something must be up. They stop what they are doing and start searching around the house to find her. And after they start "sifting through the trash" Nora comes back with a "monumental crash."

Recommended to: Any child who has siblings, and struggles with sharing parent time. This is easily relate to.
Problems: I didn't see any with this book, it is done with mice instead of real people. So most children will be able to relate easily with Nora and not focus on the details of her race.
My Reaction: I loved this book, the illustrations are simply enough that its not distracting. But adds all the more to see Nora flying a kite through the house. I love the rhyme of the story as well. It flows right of the tongue, making it easy to read out-loud.

No comments:

Post a Comment