Sunday, January 17, 2010

Moo Who?


Moo Who?
By: Margie Palatini
Illustrated by: Keith Graves
Copyright: 2004
Pages: 40
Reading Level: 4-8
Genre: Picture Book

Moo Who? is a story of a cow who is famous for her, not always on key singing. Then suddenly one day she was out in the pasture she was hit by a cow pie. Hilda loses her memory of who she is, and more importantly what sound she makes. For the rest of the book she wonders around the farm, imitating the other animals trying to find just the right sound. In the end Hilda does in fact find her MOO, and the rest of the farm finds earplugs.
This is a very cute story, and I loved it at once because it reminded me of Are You My Mother? And that is one of my all time favorite childhood books. This story has the same fun animal noises, in a slightly funnier format. The illustrations in this are absolutely hilarious, starting with the cow who has a very big Elvis like hairdo. It also keeps with the no clutter rule, there are funny details you want to be sure not to miss. But its easy to follow along.
Recommended to: Librarians looking for a laugh, or small children learning animal sounds.
Problems: I found this to be all around a friendly reader, but it might not be the book for someone who has a family member who has memory lose.
My Reaction: I first read this while standing in the library, and had to hold in a few giggles. I also really wanted to HONK with the goose, and Oink with the pig. I will love reading this to my children someday, I think its a great way to get a child involved and learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment